SO the H-P Pavilion is now the S-A-P Pavilion..
Orchard Supply Hardware is selling a lot of its stores to Lowes…and the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon is now called the MDA Show of Strength TV.
My times have changed. My Mom must be turning over in her grave about now. That was our Labor Day weekend forever. She and I would stay up all night watching Jerry and all of his guests. And yes, she did give money…not a lot but she did make a pledge every year. Jerry was forced off the show a year or two ago and even before that, the allotted time of the telethon was reduced and the number of TV stations that carried it went way down..Now this year, it's been reduced to two hours…9-11 pm on Sunday on ABC. It will be part of the ABC Labor Day weekend…and the executive producer of the show is now R.A. Clark who happens to be Dick Clark's son. I'm guessing the emcees for the 2 hour telethon will be people from Good Morning America like Sam Champion…
I'm glad my Mom is not here to see…She would be so upset
Not really the best time of year to start dieting…
Summer..with ice cream, margaritas, and vacation desserts.
We all know what those are. I'm going to Hawaii so it's Hula Pie.
Every state or country has some dessert specialty.
But guess what I started? Yep…Sam too.
I'm doing Weight Watchers and I have more than my typical "3 pounds" to lose.
My first weigh in Saturday…I lost 1.8 pounds.
When I did Weight Watchers over 10 years ago…I lost over 3 pounds that first weekend.
But I'm ten years older now and I guess I have no metabolism. LOL!!
Anyway…I saw a story again this morning…that the best weight tool is not the scale but a timer..that fast eaters are as much as 18 pounds heavier than slow eaters.
A grilled chicken breast, with a side salad, fries (hey, I want to know what diet that is) and a glass of water should take you at least
32 minutes to eat. SO as I eat on my coffee table in front of the TV, I need to pace myself during the hour show so that I'm not done till it's half over. I will try it tonite!!!
A couple of fun things for Fathers day…that always make me smile: You know you're a dad when:
Before: Sponge baths with your wife
After: SpongeBob with the kids
Before: 45 minutes of sex in the back seat
After: 45 minutes installing baby's car seat
Before: Universal Remote
After: Baby Monitor
Before: Happy Hour at TGIFridays
After: Happy Hour when baby goes down for a nap
I don't know about you but my favorite thing in life--
well, almost my favorite thing is to nap.
I so love naps….and maybe because I generally only get 4 hours of sleep a night, maybe 5 and it's never solid sleep. I look at the clock every hour or two to see if its 2-30 a.m and time to get up.
But getting back to this favorite past-time called sleep…..
Saw a story this morning that if you're always tired…it may be your pillows fault.
You're supposed to get a new pillow every 12-18 months. Who does that? You?
And using an old pillow…or the wrong kind of pillow can literally be a pain in the neck.
So here are the three rules about pillows.
1. If you sleep on your stomach, you should be using a thin, flat pillow that doesn't have much stuffing. Bigger pillows tend to make you sleep awkwardly on your neck. If that STILL hurts your neck, and you're thinking of buying a new bed, consider a firm mattress with a thin pillow top, so you can sleep on your stomach WITHOUT a pillow.
2. If you sleep on your back, you should probably be using a soft or medium-firm pillow that fills the space between the bed and your neck. Memory pillows also work well.
3. If you're a side sleeper, look for an over-stuffed pillow that gives you even MORE support under your neck. They also prevent you from sleeping with all your weight on one shoulder.
Just did a whole blog about sleeping…and didn't once mention Sleep Train!! But now that I have...tell em' Sam and Lissa sent you…LOL!!!
When was the last time you got a really good bargain on a trip?
So happens I'm going to Honolulu in July with Christina and my favorite hotel had a deal going….book early and save …so I did!!!
I think the room is $279 a night for a partial ocean….something like that…although throw in taxes and all of a sudden its still way up there.
But sure enough Trip Advisor says Honolulu is the most expensive city in the nation to visit. Put in a hotel night, dinner for two…cocktails for two…a back a nd forth taxi ride and you're over $500 a day…Almost the same amount to stay in New York…and then slightly cheaper in Boston, San Francisco and Chicago.
The top five least expensive cities in America…
Vegas, followed by Miami, Dallas, Atlanta and Portland
A few other costly facts for vacation…
Average nightly rate for a 4 stare hotel has gone up almost 20% since last summer.
Orlando and Denver rate hikes were even bigger. The South is the most affordable region in the nation and Asia is the most affordable overseas.
For international travel Oslo, Norway is the costliest. Sofia, Bulgaria the best bargain!!!
A new study say the average man doesn't emotionally mature until age 43….11 years later than the average woman. So one sentence explains away your marriage or your friends marriage or just life in general..LOL!!!
And 8 of ten women all ask the same thing….Do men really ever mature?
Here's the list….of the most immature things guys do…and in order!!!
Finding it HILARIOUS when they burp or pass gas.
Eating fast food at 2:00 A.M.
Playing video games.
Driving too fast.
Laughing at swear words.
Playing loud music when they drive.
Playing practical jokes.
Trying too hard to beat kids at games and sports.
Staying quiet during arguments.
Not being able to cook simple meals.
Re-telling the same stupid jokes and stories when they're with their guy friends.
Who knew that a coffee maker had so many uses….other than making coffee?
The stuff we find every morning… like the websites dedicated to all the other things you can make with a coffee maker.
1. Hot Dogs. Just run six-to-eight cups of water through the coffeemaker, then leave the burner on and toss the hot dogs in. Keep them in for 30 minutes. 8 minutes for a hard boiled egg.
2. Poached Chicken. Essentially, all you need is some chicken breast, some butter, and some water, and you let it cook in the coffee pot for 15 minutes on each side.
3. Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. Just remove the pot, wipe down the burner, and cook each sandwich like you normally would if you were using a pan.
4. Anything "Instant." This one's kind of obvious, but coffeemakers are great for things like oatmeal or ramen noodles, because all you have to do is add hot water and wait a few minutes.
5. Vegetables. You can do it two different ways. You can steam them by putting them in the filter basket, and then running water through the coffeemaker a few times. Or you can just fill the pot with hot water, dump the vegetables in, and let them cook until they're tender.
6. Chocolate Fondue. All you have to do is heat up some cream in the coffee pot for about 15 minutes . . . add in pieces of a chocolate bar and let them melt for 10 minutes . . . then stir it, and it's done.
Here we go…it's a weekend. Too hot to cook inside. So you'll fire up the BBQ!!!
And the list you've been waiting for….the 7 most common burger mistakes
1. Not Buying Enough Meat. For a good sized burger, it's six ounces. Then you multiply that by how many burgers you plan to make.
So if you're making four burgers, that means one-and-a-half pounds of meat. If you want 12 burgers, it's four-and-a-half pounds.
2. Buying Hamburger That's Too Lean. Most people tend to like burgers that are 80% lean and 20% fat. Any lower than that, and they won't have enough flavor.
3. Over-Handling the Meat. The more you handle it and mash it together, the less tender it is. SO make your burger patty. . . don't pack it too tightly . . . then season it and throw it on the grill.
4. Buying Big Buns, but Making Tiny Burgers. Meaning they don't match up, so you're left with a ball of meat in the middle of way too much bun.
Shape the burger patties so they're about one inch wider in diameter than the hamburger buns are. That allows room for them to shrink while they cook. And as for thickness, don't go above three-quarters of an inch.
5. Pressing the Patties with a Spatula While They Cook. All it does is drain the juices and dry it out, which means less taste.
6. Adding the Cheese Too Soon. There's no reason to add it until the very end . . . about two minutes before you want to pull the burgers off. Any earlier than that, and you'll end up with liquid cheese all over the grill.
7. Shutting the Lid to Speed Things Up. Burgers should only take about 10 minutes anyway. Four minutes per side, then you flip it one more time, add cheese, and wait two more minutes.
If there is ever a "pet" peeve of mine…this is it.
People who walk their dogs or let their dogs out and don't clean up the mess…
Whether it's my neighborhood or someone else's!!
So this is the story of the day!!
Comes from a town in Spain called Brunete.
They've formed a team of volunteers who secretly wander the streets, looking for people who don't pick up after their dogs.
When they see someone leave poop behind, they walk up to the person and strike up a conversation. And during the conversation, they find out the dog's name and breed. They also pick up the poop.
Afterward, they' plug the dog's info into the city's pet database to figure out who owns the dog and where they live. Then they take the dog poop the person left behind, put it in a box that says "Lost Property," and MAIL it to their house.
In one week, they mailed 147 poop packages, Guess what has happened since? A 70% drop in the amount of dog poop on the streets.
Favorite summertime drink….Could it be a margarita? I sure love them…and yes you've got to have salt. So you can bet I noticed this headline today…You can get a rash from your margarita!!!
So here come the details…
When you squeeze a lime into a drink like a margarita, a little of the oil from the lime gets on your hand. When you drink it, the lime gets on your lips.
And if you suffer from an allergy called phytophotodermatitis, when the sun hits that lime oil, it can cause a RASH that's similar to poison ivy. Scientists have nicknamed it "margarita dermatitis."
You probably don't know if you have phytophotodermatitis or not . . . but if you notice you're getting weird blisters on your hand or mouth after you have a margarita this summer, that could be the reason.
Here's your germ story of the day…
I don't know how I always find them…but I do!!!
A study of fast food places found more bacteria on the Ice from the Ice machines than in the toilets!!! It happened at about 6 out of ten places they tested, and included the big ones…McDonalds, Burger King and KFC. It doesn't necessarily mean you'll get sick from drinking out of cups with nasty food ice, but you could be at risk. All I can say is I haven't gotten sick yet…and I'm always stopping in for a soda!!!
So what's the deal….they think workers clean the bathrooms a lot more often than they do the ice machine…so there you have it.
Will it change your habits?…bet not…but I also think you'll remember I told you this next time you go to the fountain machine…